Links between press & GAFAM
|Start date||Sat 30 November 2019|
- GAFAM are an issue
- press/media said they were fighting for democracy against GAFAM during the Copyright Directive debate
- but press/media are not actually fighting against GAFAM, au contraire
- let's do something (article, communiqué, open letter, petition...) to ask press/media to stop collaborating actively with GAFAM
- some things that corroborate that collaboration :
- cookies, trackers on the press websites are unavoidable (not even respecting GDPR)
- same for apps
- media cover is overwhelmingly about GAFAM and often very pro-GAFAM
- agreements have been signed between Copiepresse (french- & german-speaking belgian press) and Google in 2012
- comments under the articles are only open to people using Facebook; some contests too; many invitations to join Facebook (now more Instagram) on RTBF radio
- articles are almost never about the alternatives (decentralized or free software), and when they talk about it, it can be full of mistakes
- this article from La Librefor example, a rare mention of Mastodon :
- "Et… ça va servir à quoi ce nouveau réseau ? C’est toute la question. Sans réel contrôle, il y a le risque de voir ce drôle d’oiseau (c’est une image) servir de déversoir à stupidités (bravo !) ou de mauvaises idées (hum !). Il y a donc là un nouveau Far West numérique où il conviendra d’être prudent et circonspect. A commencer par utiliser des identifiants et mots de passe bien différents de ceux qu’on a l’habitude de créer. Qui sait de quelle manière ils sont sécurisés…"
- who noticed in the news the information about the Amnesty International report about GAFAM?
In the last months/years, the press overwhelmingly claimed it was fighting for democracy against GAFAM. Let's take them at their word about this, and show them the problem. Either they are unaware of it, blind, or hypocrit. Either case we need to tell them by calling out this collaboration. Who else will?
There are 2 risks :
- as we attack the press, we might be assimilated to a populist party (because attacking the press is a trademark of populism) => we need to document carefully each affirmation
- the press might hate us => it's not our objective, we believe in the press; also, we don't have much to lose anyway, our media cover is almost non-existing...
- 1st we open a and complete a pad (and organize the info on a wiki page) to document what we can find
- for the next steps, we need to think about what concrete actions we can do (open letter, 1 article? several articles?). But we can't do that without completing 1st step.
- Any person who wants to help this project can contact us