|Start date||Sun 20 May 2012|
|Contact||it +@+ pirateparty.be|
or meet us at our Pirate Lab
The ITSquad takes care of the IT-infrastructure of the pirate party. Contact if you want to do an IT-project, need an email address, have requests for a Crew, would like to add a feature to the site, etc.
We can also help with finding, and sometimes providing, tools and services whose values are in line with the values of the Pirateparty. Take a look on our Pirates Selection page for more information.
|Infomaniak (hosting provider)|
|Mailboxes @pirateparty.be and old mailing lists @piratepary.be||120,00€||Yearly|
|Hetzner (hosting provider)||351,25€||Yearly|
|Mediawiki webserver since October 2019||3,01€||Monthly|
|Wordpress websites (en,fr,nl) since December 2016||8,35€||Monthly|
|Mastodon server since October 2019||6,9€||Monthly|
|Liège yunohost server since September 2018||3,01€||Monthly|
|parley yunohost server since November 2018||3,01€||Monthly|
|Storage box (500Go) since September 2019||5,88€||Monthly|
|TOTAL (if nothing changes)||547,9€||Yearly|
- the ITNow page for some kind of inventory of our «channels & tools».
- the Emails page for a list of emails +@+pirateparty.be.
- the Pirate Labs pad to work on different LABz projects.
- the Pirate Party Website pad for comments, remarks, todos...
- the Website Squad Loomio Group about website posts and content.
- the Pirates Selection, a brainstorming about IT tools that could be useful for pirates.
- the Hackathon, to work together on IT stuff during one long day.
- Pad dedicated for the ITSquad
To maintain a decentralized and libre social-network
See the Mastodon page
Parley is a place where we provide simple services open for everyone. All are free software.
Upgrading can be done from the admin interface or from the cli over ssh. Before updating applications, make a backup. Backups will be created automatically during upgrade, but if you do them manually, you can check that they haven't failed. When doing risky upgrades, please take a snapshot from the Hetzner admin console. An example of a risky upgrade is for migrations like Debian Stretch to Debian Buster.
On the Parley server the files are stored in /var/www/my_webapp__2/www. It uses git, so updating is cd /var/www/my_webapp__2/www; git pull.
There is also an sftp connection (but can probably be removed since updating happens with git).
When updating Jirafeau the config file gets overwritten. There's an issue, but it doesn't seem like something that will be fixed soon https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/jirafeau_ynh/issues/49 . Make sure you test before and after the upgrade if everything is still as it should be. Notable is that the default time to keep a file is a week, the maximum is a month.
Also note that we've added a file /home/yunohost.app/jirafeau-filesystem as a filesystem so we can limit the total uploads. See https://blog.ilja.space/~/MyLearningCurve/limiting-total-size-of-uploads-in-jirafeau
When removing Jirafeau the filesystem should be removed manually, but don't forget to also change /etc/fstab otherwise the server may not boot anymore! (See the blogpost to know what was done so you can remove safely, best is to make a take a snapshot from the Hetzner admin console beforehand so it can be put back if something fails.)
We try to promote and use yunohost because it's a good server OS for self hosting. Crews who want to administer their own services can get a ynh server. We can provide the service to set everything up, teach some basics and provide support in case of trouble. An explanation on how and why can be found on this blogpost.
Setting up an instance
If a crewmember is interested in running their server from home, an option is an internet cube, but typically we'll use a vps. To set up a vps:
- See liege.pirateparty.be for an example
- At least one person of the crew will be admin and contact for us. Make sure we know who that is.
- Log in to Hetzner > cloud > Default > make a new server > install Debian and run the yunohost installer for Debian
- Run the post-install and add a subdomain to ynh and set up the DNS records. The easiest is to set A and AAAA records for the crew.pirateparty.be and a CNAME for *.crew.pirateparty.be. Make sure to set up the other DNS records as well (CAA, TXT...)
- Add reverse DNS: Log in to hetzner > cloud > Default > Choose correct server > Networking > Under Primary IPS you can see the reverse DNS. Set it for both ipv4 and ipv6
- Run the diagnostics from the admin interface and set everything up correctly
Things to know for the admin(s)
- Please keep the server updatet
- If there are problems, contact us via chat or mail. We're here to help, make use of it
- Keep an eye on resources
- There's a good change that mails will be blacklisted by default by MS and Google. What you can do is "warm up" your domain. Send mails to people who use outlook and gmail accounts and make sure they reply. Or have them send to you. Basically, you want MS and Google to see 'healthy' traffic form your domain/ip.
- Total cost to ppbe is €X/month
- Follow our latest discussions and work flow there on a Loomio thread.
|Mastodon migration to Glitch-soc||Sun 1 September 2019, 10:00am||Fred's place |
|Yunohost : Let's decentralise the crews!||Sun 24 June 2018, 10:00am||tierce's place – 30 rue Achille Bauduin|
|Make the PPBe GDPR-compliant||Sun 27 May 2018, 10:00am||tierce's place – 30 rue Achille Bauduin|
|New website online meeting||Wed 25 April 2018, 9:00pm||Online|
|New website||Sat 21 April 2018, 2:00pm||Expression – Koning Albertplein 14|
|Updating the web site/slogan: let us tell a story||Sat 9 December 2017, 2:00pm||Expression – Koning Albertplein 14|
|Mastodon upgrade and Mails structure||Wed 1 November 2017, 10:00am||tierce's place – 30 rue Achille Bauduin|
|IT Squad Meeting||Sun 13 August 2017, 12:00pm||tierce's place – 30 rue Achille Bauduin|
|Mails Follow up||Sun 2 July 2017, 10:00am||tierce's place – 30 rue Achille Bauduin|
|Setting up our Mail Infrastructure||Sun 4 June 2017, 10:00am||tierce's place – 30 rue Achille Bauduin|